Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Success with a tracking Dog... and Feeding Station Volunteers Needed

I had a busy day today, but it was all worth it.
I spent the morning checking out what turned out to be a false Rocky sighting, but was able to corral a little guy until animal control could come and take him out of harms way.
After a quick lunch, I hit all the shelters in the area. There was lots of good news there... first, they are mostly empty, which means that most doggies are safe and sound at home and second, they all instantly recognized Rocky's name and said they were very on the look out for him.
The evening was spent with a tracking dog/handler in the location of the latest sighting, by JEB Stuart Park. The dog was able to quickly pick up a scent and tracked down to Lake Barcroft.
Which leads me to our big need right now - we REALLY need to place a feeding station on the shore of Lake Barcroft and/or the edge of JEB Stuart park. I knocked on some doors, but no one was home. The one family I talked to seemed hesitant, but they seemed like great folks, so I hope they come through for us.

Alright, I'm heading out in another 30mins to look around the area. It's trash night in the area, and I'm thinking Rocky might come out looking for a morsel.

5 comments:

  1. Stay safe, Jess. Hopefully Gizmo will be there for support.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will there be any organized searches this weekend? With the nicer weather I imagine that lots of people will be happy to be outside looking for Rocky...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we're trying to be very careful to not scare him off. I'm pretty we'll be posting info today about more poster/flyering efforts that would be a great use of the good weather this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi. We will keep a look out for Rocky some more. The flyers have been up so long, we wondered whether he had been found. It's good to know that he's at least been spotted. We'll tell others to keep looking too.

    ReplyDelete