Sunday, February 8, 2009

Giving up on the Rocky Search....

.... ONLY BECAUSE I AM WATCHING HIM PRANCE AROUND WITH HIS BONE ALL MUNN-LIKE HERE AT HOME WHERE HE BELONGS!!!

Yes, this would be the blog post I'm sure you all have been waiting for.

After 36 days and 12 hours, Rocky has finally completed his journey and returned home to me. First off, I want to thank the entire Shinstock family who were the ones who notified me of Rocky's whereabouts today while I was flyering at Petco. The irony is not lost on me of the Stockomunn being found by the Shinstock family. Beth Shinstock called me today and notified me that Rocky had been hanging out near her and a few neighbors houses in Annandale for about a week. He wouldn't go allow anyone to go near him, but Rocky had made himself quite welcome in their neighborhood apparently. Her daughter, Maddie, was finally able to get Rocky to come close enough to her to give him food and over time, this obviously brilliant young girl was able to get Rocky's phone number off of his collar. I drove over to their address where I found Chris and future Steelers WR Hunter Shinstock enjoying a father son football toss and catch. I got out of the car and asked them if Rocky was still nearby. Chris pointed at his neighbor's driveway and said "Yes - he's sleeping on that driveway over there."

This dog, on the run for so long - that so many have spent countless hours trying to find was SLEEPING ON A DRIVEWAY IN ANNANDALE!!! I walked to the driveway with a leash, cheese, and treats... turned out I probably didn't need any of it. I called his name, and he lifted up his head and got up. He was a little disoriented at first and barked a couple times. I then said "Rocky, come here baby..." and he looked at me, let it register for a second, then put his ears back and came right to me. He was full of kisses for his daddy - as was I for him. I put the leash on him and about a minute later he walked over to my car to get in like we were just at the park or something. We got home about an hour ago, and he's eaten a bit, drank some water, played chase with me with his bone, and now is passed out sleeping on my couch.

He is very thin. But besides a few scratches on his nose and face, he looks very healthy. He doesn't smell very good, but I'm OK with that. He has been whimpering a bit, but from what I can tell, it just seems that's because he's happy to be home or perhaps he is trying to tell me of the adventures of the last 5+ weeks. I'll post some pictures of him a little later today.

I'm going to try and thank everyone. Please forgive me if I missed your name. Know that I appreciate the efforts that everyone has given to helping Rocky find his way home since January 3rd:
Kate
Sonia
Mac
Trish
Jenny
Josh
Kirsten
Eugenia
Jason
Leslie
Nancy
Daphne
Becky
Brad
Erika
Neena
Katie
Shana
Donna
Suzanne
Natalia
Linda
Alexa
Jennifer
Liza
Mike
Jeff
Charlie
Lisa
Laura
Debbie
Edith
Jo
Darci
Annie
Elizabeth
Melissa
Alex
Tara
Ellen
David
Ashley
Erin
Jim
Paula
Robin
Cary
Christina
Irene
Dallas
Anna
Jay
Lindsay
Erika
Mary Ann
Gail

Thanks to everyone who offered their support to me. Without your support and love for Rocky and the time the above people took to help find him, I'm certain I would not have made it through one week, let alone 5 weeks without him.

But he's here. He's Home. My baby is home. Finally.

Special thanks to Jessika for coming out last week while I could not be available.

And an extra special thanks to the Shinstock family - Rocky and I will be forever in your debt for reuniting us. This is the happiest day of my life. Thank You. Oh and Rocky says "WOOF!" and wants to give a "barkout" to Maddie.

Time to get reacquainted with my best friend. And maybe figure out a way to get these tears to stop falling from my eyes. We love you all,
Rocky's Dad and Rocky :)

57 comments:

  1. This is the absolutely best happy ending! Will be happy to start taking down signs instead of putting them up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!! So glad Rocky is home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay!!! Congrats to Dad and his darling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG. This news just made my day. Thank you Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am in tears after reading how Rocky was FINALLY found. I am so happy for both you and Rocky. I donated to the fund and hope it helped in the search!!!!!! Rocky needs lots and lots of TLC now, which I am sure he is getting plenty of!!!! AWESOME job in not giving up on him and trusting your instincts!!!! Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pictures Pictures please

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woo hoo! I've been checking out your blog for weeks and searching for Rocky around the EFC metro area. So glad the saga had a happy ending!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome! I am so happy for you, and for Rocky.
    Becky has kept me updated on Rocky's story.

    Answered prayer! I have tears in my eyes.

    Enjoy your baby. LindaK

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm am soo happy for you and Rocky, there are no words. I am in tears reading about your reunion and soo glad that all prayers were answered. I look forward to seeing the pictures:) Enjoy your baby being home

    Liza

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great news!! Thanks to the neighborhood who looked out for him and fed him. I think all dog owners would hope to be so fortunate for a lost dog to find rest and shelter with people who care. Rocky obviously felt comfortable enough to stay there for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  11. YAY!!!! This is wonderful news! I am so happy for you and Rocky. Give him some extra hugs tonight! They say the greatest bond in the world is mother and child...I say it is owner and dog! So glad you guys have been reunited!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations!!! You never gave up and never gave in and kept the faith that you would find him.....the munn in your life is finally home.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay! I'm so happy for you and Rocky. Okay, so please post on the map where he was found as a final location. I'm really curious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy, happy, happy day!!! We have been dancing around the kitchen since we heard your news!! May you both bask in the joy of reunion. : )

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations!

    As an moment of advice: I'd have him checked by his vet to make sure no parasites or other problems were picked up during his adventure. Just to be on the safe side.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So happy for you and Rocky!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fabulous ending! If only dogs could talk and tell you about their journey... I am sure it would be a wonderful tale (tail ;-)

    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's AWESOME news! I've been following this blog religiously and am SO STOKED to hear Rocky's home and safe. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful news. I've been checking your blog every day and keeping an eye out for him. So glad he's home.

    ReplyDelete
  20. TOUCHDOWN ROCKY!
    You both deserve a goodnights sleep!:))))

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am so happy for you. I just started following the Rocky saga when my own dog, Lucy, disappeared on Wednesday. I've kept an eye out for him while fliering for the last 4 days.

    If you have any pointers please let me know (sarah_d_darnell@yahoo.com). We're starting our own page at lostlucy.com tonight.

    Again, I am so happy for you and Rocky! Your story helps keep hope alive.

    ReplyDelete
  22. To Rocky and his Dad,

    We are so happy you are home!! I am the one that just called you to congratulate you. This is an amazing story all the way around. Please keep his collar snug and keep a tight hold on his leash. Don't let him out of your sight! I look forward to meeting you and Rocky some day. We are your neighbors over on Underwood Street across from the park. We have 3 golden retrievers (in case you ever see us out walking around). We'll help you take down signs in our neighborhood and wherever we see them. Julie, Rick, Bailey, Sassy and Buddy

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a joke...if half of you people who went looking for this dog, would have helped the homeless, society would have benefited a lot more.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Been driving around with your cell phone number pasted on my car's ashtray for easy and quick access. REALLY happy to take it down. hugs to Rocky.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ravi & Rocky
    I KNEW he was just waiting for you to come and find him....AND YOU DID!!! This is the best ending EVER!! Don't forget to let him know his team won the Super Bowl!! It gives all of us renewed faith in our two legged as well as the four legged friends. I will be waiting for the Disney movie when it is released!! May you both live "happily ever after"!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ravi, I am so thrilled for you and Rocky ! I totally agree that special thanks should go to the Shinstock family and their neighbors for all they did for Rocky to help bring him home. They are heroes ! And wow, what a great bunch of volunteers to have worked so hard and long to bring Rocky home. Personally, I was getting very sporadic in my search efforts, so I can especially appreciate the volunteers who kept plodding away tirelessly day after day. What a great community ! Warm wishes to all of you, and big warm hugs to Rocky and Ravi!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I cried reading the post! I am so happy for you guys and am amazed!! Congrads!!!
    http://twitter.com/DCLostPet

    ReplyDelete
  28. Clint Basset Hound is happy his friend is home with his Daddy!

    ReplyDelete
  29. That is great news! I am so happy for you. We lost our dog once for 48 hours, but we also found her again, so I know how you feel now. Sadly, she passed away a year ago this week. I hope you have many more happy days ahead of you with Rocky.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Yeah! This is the best news ever! I knew Rocky would be reunited with his Dad and I'm so grateful that we all kept the faith. Looking forward to actually meeting the "Munn" one day!
    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  31. YAY!!! This is the best news!!!! Yay Rocky!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hurray! My both sons, Ravi and Rock are together home! I was so worried about Rocky, but I also was very worried about Ravi! The search and efforts were all well worth! Thank you all! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  33. I am so happy that our little Rocky is home. Dogs (and cats) are the sweetest and the most innocent creatures. Thank God there are so many really good people who care for creatures who have no option and no way of even asking us for help. People who care for animals care for everyone, human and beast. Congratulations Ravi & Rocky :-)

    ReplyDelete
  34. WWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    My Fiance and I are bawling reading the wonderful news that Rocky is safe and home with his daddy! I am so happy for you both. Finally some peace for both of you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'm so happy for you!!!!! I've been reading this blog every day hoping for good news. I knew he would eventually make his way back in your arms. Congratulations!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Yay!! An answer to all of our prayers!!! Congrats and enjoy every second of being back together!! We look forward to seeing you all around the condo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Unbelievable! Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Welcome home, Rocky!! Ravi, I couldn't be happier for you!! Big hugs to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  39. That is the BEST news! Am so happy that you are both back together. Ye ha! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Yay! I'm so happy to hear that Rocky is back home (-:

    ReplyDelete
  41. This is such wonderful news. I am so happy for both of you. I can't wait to tell my little girl when she wakes up tomorrow. We live near Rock Spring church and she saw the Rocky flyers so we have been looking for him during our walks and around town. She instructed her older brothers to look for him every day as they walk to school.

    ReplyDelete
  42. this is awesome. I wish there were more happy endings like this. Your hard work and perseverence have been rewarded.

    ReplyDelete
  43. We are absolutely elated and thankful that Rocky has been found! We are also impressed with the poise and positive attitude you have maintained throughout these 36 days. We also would love an update on Rocky's health, and please let us know if you need help taking down the Rocky flyers, we'll be sooooo happy to help!!!

    ~Mike & Gianna

    ReplyDelete
  44. I think anyone that lives in or around Arlington knows about Rocky from all the flyers. I was in the Italian store on Saturday and saw another one there and was thinking of you all. This is the BEST news!!! Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  45. This is the BEST NEW EVERY, I worked the Falls Church area, so I will start taking the flyers down this evening after work, plus share the great news Rocky is Home!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  46. This is just awsome! I am so happy that Rocky was found....I think you had more people following this, looking for him and praying than you ever know. Let's keep our fingers crossed for a couple other dogs that are still missing in our area. Including Billy! Congratulations....job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Congratulations! That is the best news I've heard all day.

    ReplyDelete
  48. I am THRILLED to see this!! Rocky, I'm so glad you're back home where you belong. The best news ever!!

    ReplyDelete
  49. My children are stoked for Rocky! We love our 15 year old mutt and would be devastated if he became lost. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  50. I am sooooooooooooo very happy for you! I have been following your blog for the past month, with tears in my eyes every time I read it. I can't imagine losing my pup. Congratulations on your determination and perseverance -- and your amazing love for Rocky. I hope you enjoy these incredible next few days, getting reacquainted with your best friend!

    p.s. Can you send your supporters to help find Alli? She and Rocky have been breaking my heart, but maybe all the people who love Rocky can help find her now? http://findmydogalli.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  51. I almost fell out of my chair when I read this post. This is such great news.

    ReplyDelete
  52. WELCOME HOME ROCKY! My husband called me today at work this morning to tell me the great news that Rocky had been found; it sure did make my day. We've been following your blog and keeping an eye out for Rocky since we received the flyer on our car at Harris Teeter. We are so glad to hear of the reunion.

    The Estrada's & Archie the Soft-Coated Wheaten Terrier

    ReplyDelete
  53. Awesome news! My girlfriend and I have been calling his name as we walked around our neighborhood from time to time, and we were always sad to see the signs stay up from week to week. Great to hear he's back and in decent shape! Let me know if he needs an Aussie play date with our Maggie!

    ReplyDelete
  54. This is the best news I've heard in a long time. It ripped my heart out every time I've seen one of the flyers. I'll be happy to joyfully rip down those flyers now!

    ReplyDelete
  55. I didn't even know if this story until today and I am SOOOOOOOOO amazed and happy that Rocky is home with you, safe and sound!!!! What a fantastic ending!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete