Friday, February 13, 2009

The Munn on the Run

A lot of people have asked me over the last couple days what I thought Rocky did on a day to day basis while he was out on the run for 36 days. After the first couple times, I came up with a novel way to get the answer to this question – to ask him myself! Unfortunately, he was sleeping most of the time for the first few days of his return. When he was awake and I tried to query him, he at times gave me the silent treatment. On other occasions he told me he would talk when the time was right and now wasn’t because he was still processing through everything. He then explained to me that dogs don’t have complex thought processes so therefore I was putting those words into his mouth and I should apologize to him for that. We went back and forth debating this point for awhile. Anyway, I guess after 5 days, Rocky was finally able to speak about what happened to him over the last 36 days to a reporter from the “Poochie Press” (Editor’s Note: Not a title of an actual publication). Here is the transcript.

Poochie Press: Thank you for agreeing to meet with us Rocky. We know you are a busy Munn.

Rocky the Munn: They told me I would get cheese.

PP: You just returned from a remarkable journey of 36 days in which you travelled at least 10 miles in a straight line, probably many more in your whole route – during which you dealt with extreme cold, ice, rain, snow, and even hail. How are you feeling right now?

RTM: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

PP: Mr. The Munn? Is that your way of saying you’re tired?

RTM: Oh no, I’m just found your initial question boring to your readers. You should be more considerate.

PP: Point taken. Can you tell us why you chose to go towards Annandale after you were lost in Falls Church?

RTM: That way smelled better. More places to pee. Less scary people.

PP: Interesting. Were you scared during your travels?

RTM: Well, I ran away from everyone who saw me. Plus, I was all alone in the cold, rain, and whatever else you said without my Daddy. So no, I wasn’t scared at all.

PP: You weren’t? My aren’t you a brave dog.

RTM: That was sarcasm, you twit.

PP: Your dad mentioned that you were very intelligent and athletic. Were these qualities things that helped you survive during your journey?

RTM: I think I survived mostly cause of my charm and good looks.

PP: Wow – that is intere…. Wait, more sarcasm, right?

RTM: I am wagging my tail in approval of your newfound intelligence.

PP: What did you eat during your journey, Mr. The Munn?

RTM: Steak, Filet Mignon, Blocks of Cheese, Broiled Scallops, Fig Newtons, Tomato Paste, Caviar, Pineapple Glazed Chicken…

PP: Wow – that’s quite a spread!

RTM: I lost 10 lbs. You can be assured I had none of the above. Although I may have dreamt about some of them. By the way, when do I get that cheese?

PP: One more question – and then you’ll get all the cheese you want. Do you miss being out on the run or are you happy to be back home where you belong?

RTM: My daddy and I will never be separated like that again. It was a tough 36 days for me and I know it was for him as well. I’m sure versions of these same questions could legitimately be asked of him too. I’m going to do everything in my power to ensure I am never in the same situation again and I’m sure my daddy will do the same.

Henry David Thoreau wrote “We should come home from adventures, and perils, and discoveries every day with new experience and character”. The last 36 days have changed me profoundly. Even though I may not be different outwardly, inwardly I know that I have experienced the worst and have overcome. I wanted to get home so bad, so I did what I could to ensure I survived and made it there. I stayed positive even in the coldest nights and stayed strong even when it looked like there was no hope. Having gotten through this makes me feel like I can do anything.

To quote someone else, Sarah Ban Breathnach wrote “Be grateful for the home you have, knowing that at this moment, all you have is all you need”. I know there were things in my life I took for granted before. Food , water, and shelter perhaps being the most obvious. But a loving dad who sends me to daycare twice a week is a whole lot more then what most pooches are afforded. Having that taken away from me for 36 days made me realize that I should stop thinking about what I don’t have and appreciate what I do have. Cause what I do have is pretty good.

So yes, you can be sure that I am extremely happy to be back home where I belong. And I plan on staying here for as long as I live. And knowing that dogs don’t have complex thoughts, quote authors, or actually speak – you should also know that it is not me, Rocky The Munn, who is sharing these sentiments. I hope that answers all your questions.

Please note that no Munns or fake reporters were harmed in away during this blog

14 comments:

  1. I just LOVE your interview with "The Munn". It is hysterical. I laughed all the way through.
    I live in North Carolina, but have family in Centreville. I found your blog on the 'Help Find Jeddah' page. (I was up there last summer when Jeddah disappeared.)
    I cannot help search for these dogs in person, but I can surely pray for their safe return home- and that is what I have been doing.

    As a dog owner myself, I cannot begin to imagine what those of you whose dogs have gotten lost go through. But I can believe God that your dogs will be found.

    And that is what I am doing.
    God bless you.

    Sincerely,
    Gail Shifflett
    Gastonia, NC

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was fascinating! Ravi, Rocky is as funny as you are!!!!

    Rocky is SO cool to go lend his support to Romeo this weekend! I've seen Romeo's pics and he's a handsome devil, so photos of the two of them together are sure to be easy on the eyes.

    I'm in OBX this weekend, and sending the best of vibes your way from the beach. Rocky, dude, stay close to your pappy this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny, funny! You are a good writer. Send your blog to Oprah, she would love Rocky's story. Much luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a question for him - how did Rocky get rid of his leash? When he was found he did not seem to have it attached to his collar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Queenie has been found!!!! Yeah!!!
    http://helpfindqueenie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. With Rocky and Queenie now safe, Lucy could use the help of anyone that hasn't had their fill of participating in lost dog recovery efforts. See Lucy's website at www.lostlucy.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been following Rocky's story since someone put it on a listserve to which I belong. I had not looked in a while and am THRILLED to hear Rocky is back home. I am in Arkansas and I had shared the story with people at work. I showed them the pictures and they are excited as well. Isn't it amazing how such a story can affect people you don't even know? Welcome home, Rocky.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sure wish Jeddah had been found. She's the reason why so many people came together to help other lost dogs. I'm praying she will be found one day also.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This popularity and Ravi's excellent interview skills can work toward putting effort forward to find other lost dogs as well as dear Jeddah. I saw Jeddah's picture and just like when I saw Rocky's my heart ached for her. I pray for Jeddah. If they could make Jeddah's website a little more Rocky's I really believe more people can be encouraged to look for her. I think the sighting map and call for help on different sites really worked for Rocky, as well as the flyers. Can something like that be done for Dulles Airport area? I wished I could but I don't have the expertise to do the online stuff. Ravi, could you or whoever did your blog maybe do so? I hope Rocky is enjoying his loving home. YOu did so well advertising for him, what a good dad Rocky has.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jeddah has been missing since July with no qualified sightings in more than 5 months. At the time sightings were acitve - so was the web site - this situatiopn is entirely different than Jeddah's.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did the little girl get the reward that was advertised/promised? The story in Falls Church Press did not say if she had

    ReplyDelete
  12. I realize people do accept rewards for this type of thing, but I can't fathom it and no way would I let my child accept it. I hope it was offered and that she refused. If she accepted it, then I hope it was to donate it to one of the numerous rescues that had people involved in Rocky's search.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank goodness that Rocky is home!!! XOXOXOX!!

    ReplyDelete