Monday, February 23, 2009

Rocky Map Updated and Blog Future

So - I sat down with our map expert, Jen Norris, yesterday and we put our heads together and tried to make our best guess at Rocky's full route from January 3rd to February 8. At this point, it was very clear which potential Rocky sightings were false and which ones weren't - so we deleted all those that we not him and then connected dots using the places and dates of the other sightings. What we ended up with was quite a funny set of lines of Rocky going back forth between the two Falls Church Metros for awhile until he finally decided to head off towards Annandale for his final pick up location. Of course, we had to make some assumptions on where he crossed over 50 and how he may have gotten around Lake Barcroft, but I think what we ended up with is probably a pretty good guess on how he travelled. You can see the final map here: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=114974815979925284183.00045fd8e936d2b5e374b&ll=38.883684,-77.127113&spn=0.07924,0.181961&z=13 or use the map link on the right hand side of this page. Jen added in some great commentary on what our thoughts are on Rocky's route and why we made certain assumptions about his travel behavior. Click on the lines to read them!

Also, within the next couple days, I'll be figuring out what I want to do with this blog ongoing. I have received some thoughts and ideas for uses although part of me thinks it might be better just to shut it down entirely. I'm not sure if anyone is still clicking here or plans too ongoing. I'm very happy Rocky is home and I've been overwhelmed by the support he's received through this blog. If you have continued to check it and would like to see it continue, please comment below on what sort of content you would like to see (or write Rocky an email to rockydab@yahoo.com).

3 comments:

  1. My vote is to leave it. It's an incredible example that others can follow if they lose their dog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My co-workers and I have followed this blog from the very beginning. I would love for you to update it every once in a while with pics of Rocky and his latest adventures (not being lost of course :) He's an amazing dog and he has quite the personality. You're a lucky guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have also been following this blog from the beginning. I've continued to check your site even after Rocky was found, mostly to see what interesting thing Rocky might be up to now that he as returned home from his adventure.
    I have really enjoyed the way you describe Rocky and his antics. It would be wonderful to have updates on him. He really sounds like a wonderful dog! I'm so happy for you and Rocky!

    ReplyDelete